Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Working again

Beginning Sunday the 25th, I will be serving as associate pastor in a congregation about 35 minutes from home. It has been ages since I have served in an associate pastor position, and I'm looking forward to it. My focus areas will be mission, small groups, and pastoral care, which are all areas I've had some experience in and look forward to focusing on. The senior pastor is a male around my age, or possibly a bit older. He struck me as an honest man with integrity, and I look forward to working together with him. It will be odd, though, to serve in this capacity since I haven't done it in so long! I've had both very good and very bad experience as associate pastor. The contract I have is for six months with potential for renewal, but also a 30 day opt out for me or the congregation if it's clear this isn't a good match. That makes it very attractive. However, my "gut" feel is that this is a good fit and I look forward to getting on board. Life will change quite a bit though, because it's also been almost two years since I've worked full time. Seems like an odd time of the year for me to begin working full time, just when the weather is getting nice and we could be taking short trips to the north shore. We'll find a way to do that anyway! But for now I look forward to community, worship, working together with this congregation to help them discern for the future, and using the gifts I have for ministry. We'll see what the future holds. As one of my very good friends and I always used to remind each other, "All will be revealed."

No comments: