Tuesday, March 6, 2007

Winter blahs?

Sorry about missing a post yesterday, my dear hubby is on the computer doing taxes with Turbo Tax and I went to bed before he finished up!

Well, I'm not sure but I think the winter blahs have gotten ahold of me again. After a few days of sunshine and walking outside I thought I might have gotten past them. But, with the two major snowstorms and being inside most of the time I realize that they are still with me. I wish I could understand what causes them or why they seem to drain my spirit. I have no energy and no passion about anything. I struggled with writing a sermon, I struggle to make myself exercise, and I do my housework as if I am in slow motion. I know I have felt this to some degree every winter, but I wonder if it's worse for me when I'm not working. When I work, I tend to throw myself into work 150% and I seem to get energy at the same time I expend it. I have been enjoying being home, and I've been thrilled to have the time to read. But I tend to get so absorbed in my reading that seems compounded by my lethargy and I do even less than I should around the house! I know that this is often referred to as seasonal affective disorder, but I truly love what an astrologer I know has to say. She said it's really perfectly normal for our bodies to do this, that for thousands of years people lived in climates like ours and slowed down and stopped working during the winter. People gathered and grew food, prepared and stored it, and then hunkered down for the winter. They ate more dense food and tended to gain weight for winter. Our bodies are used to that for thousands of years - it's only been in the last couple of hundred years that we don't slow down and stop like before. We keep going no matter what and our "seasonal affective disorder" is labeled. She says that we're perfectly normal and our bodies are just working according to a very long tradition of resting in the dark time of winter. I liked her explanation and it made perfect sense to me. We don't stop. We wear ourselves out and don't get into the dormant period of winter that people's did for thousands of years. We push and push and push. No wonder we lack energy, no wonder we feel blue, no wonder we get depressed - we keep expecting ourselves to act like we always do when in reality winter is a time for hunkering down, going into the darkness and finding the gifts that are there for us. Course, when we get a taste of spring - it's difficult to go back into the darkness and hunker down!!

No comments: